Re: [NTLK] upgrade questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 16:39:45 EST

on 19/01/03 16:08, Heiko Cultus at ching_at_gmx.de wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 19.01.03 um 21:56 Uhr schrieb Laurent Daudelin:
>>
>> on 19/01/03 15:37, Tad Crohn at t.crohn_at_attbi.com wrote:
>>> 4. Is there any way to connect a Newton to a DSL line?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help,
>>>
>>> Tad Crohn
>>> tadcrohn_at_attbi.com
>>
>> To connect your Newton to DSL, you need an Ethernet card in your
>> Newton and
>> then you simply connect an Ethernet cable to your DSL modem.
>>

> Don't you need PPPoE for this?

Yes, that might be quite possible with some providers. If your provider
requires the use of PPPoE, then you won't be able to connect your Newton
directly to your DSL modem, because PPPoE is not supported on the Newton.
Instead, you will have to buy a gateway or router that will do that job. You
can buy a gateway or router with multiple ports so that you can have
multiple computers and Newton connected at once and sharing your internet
connection.

-Laurent.

code monkey n.: 1. A person only capable of grinding out code, but unable to perform the higher-primate tasks of software architecture, analysis, and design. Mildly insulting. Often applied to the most junior people on a programming team. 2. Anyone who writes code for a living; a programmer. 3. A self-deprecating way of denying responsibility for a management decision, or of complaining about having to live with such decisions. As in "Don't ask me why we need to write a compiler in COBOL, I'm just a code monkey."