Re: [NTLK] PowerBook IrDA adapter that works with a Newt?

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 07:46:10 PST

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 05:27 , Marco Mailand wrote:

> I don't believe that the IrDA protocol of the Newton is compatible
> with the
> recent IrDA versions nor that there's a working protocol behind it to
> transfer data or do the even more complex things like package
> installation.

Besides rumors stating the opposite, the OS2.1 IrDA stack on the
Newton is fairly complete up to and including the IrLMP layer.
TinyTP and IrCOMM is missing but I'm working on it (it is actually
in a pretty good shape already). IrOBEX goes then on top of TinyTP
and shouldn't be to difficult to implement. The package
installation protocol also sits on top of IrLMP. I haven't looked
deeper into that but it shouldn't be black magic to implement it.
The protocol is documented anyway. The only thing the Newton
hardware can't do is FIR (4Mpbs IrDA).

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html