Re: [NTLK] Hi again

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 07:33:46 PST

At 10:09 29-01-2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Quoting Helv=E9cio Mafra <helvecio.mafra_at_newted.org>:
>
> > I have no knowledge about hardware development at all, but this=
 answer=3D20=3D

> > made me think: Isn't it possible to make an add-on board like SER-001=3D=
20
> > that instead of a miniDIN-8 connector has an USB connector?
>
>Well, I mean, if you could smoosh the hardware of a USB to Serial adaptor
>small enough to fit on a board the size of the SER-001's, then yeah, I=
 guess
>so. Problem is I don't think you could get a one-chip solution for this in
>small quantities.
>
>Here's a link to a datasheet for such a chip though:
>http://home.xecom.com/insider/IC_Plus/TP561-DS-R001-000817.pdf
>This is about 1cm x 0.7cm.
>
>and another one:
>http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/ds232b11.pdf
>This one is aboue 0.9cm x 0.9cm (to the tips of the pins).

Hi Victor,

Neither of these are ideal though, I think. The first simulates a serial=20
port on the PC/Mac side, and the second does that, as well as special DLL's=
=20
so hardware can see it as a USB port rather than serial port. In either=20
case, it would be just as easy to embed it in a USB->RS422 cable, or buy a=
=20
stand-alone USB->RS232/422 converter, and connect to the RS422 port on the=
=20
newton.

Cheers,

Damien