Re: [NTLK] Was asantetalk - using NCU in X

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 10:28:58 PST

On 29/01/03 13:00, "Gregory Sahli" <sahlgre_at_iit.edu> wrote:

> (pardon me if someone has helped you already -- I get digest only)
>
> Russ,
> A couple of folks have hit on this but you haven't ever mentioned
> whether you have started up NCU in classic mode (or OS9).
> Appletalk is the comm. protocol only. Without NCU running, nothing is
> being communicated to the Newton, so the Newton doesn't see the Mac and
> vice versa. (there is no file sharing capability in the Dock).
> Printers, on the other hand, will talk to the Newton (when you're
> trying to print, that is).
> As added troubleshooting, tell us if Appletalk is selected in Prefs of
> NCU, and also try printing to an appletalk printer and tell us the
> result.

It might also be useful to know, if you're running NCU from Classic, what is
the delay until Classic will sleep. It might be a good thing to increase the
delay from the default 5 minutes to something longer, just to make sure.
It's not clear what will make OS X thinks that Classic isn't doing
anything...

-Laurent.

casting the runes n.: What a guru does when you ask him or her to run a
particular program and type at it because it never works for anyone else;
esp. used when nobody can ever see what the guru is doing different from
what J. Random Luser does. Compare incantation, runes, examining the
entrails; also see the AI koan about Tom Knight in "Some AI Koans" (Appendix
A).
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html