[NTLK] Compatibility questions: wireless and ATA

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 14:10:03 PDT

Hi all,

I'm looking around for a wireless card and a nice big memory card for my
newton. I currently have two small memory cards, one completely full,
taking up both slots, so I can't do any networking...

First, ATA: I heard something about a new RC coming out soon? Also, in
the (rather jumbled) compatibility list, the SanDisk seems like a
reliable choice, is this right? (It's also one of the few I've seen in
my visits to a couple of the big chain stores.) Does the PCMCIA adaptor
a camera store would sell you with it work well? I seem to recall some
people listing specific adapters as working or not, and can't remember
if it was the adapter for the sandisk cards. Unfortunately, I don't
know what the name of the adapter was, the guy at the store just called
it "the adapter" and seemed to assume it was the only one possible.

Second, wireless: With the compatibility list in front of me, I'm
wondering if the Orinoco Gold and the Lucent WaveLAN Gold are the same
thing... The Orinoco Gold isn't listed, but the Orinoco Silver and the
Lucent Gold are, and they all seem to use the same chipset.

And, as a related question, is anybody willing to trade a Newton-
compatible 802.11b card (preferably the Orinoco, since I've never seen
anybody here say anything bad about them) for an SMC2435W-CA 802.11b
PCMCIA card (not on the newton compatibility list), new in box, still
shrink-wrapped?

-Rhonda

--
www.write-on.indy || write-on.homeip.net \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project