Re: [NTLK] eMate fun

From: Nathan Turnage (nturnage_at_andadv.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 08:53:48 PDT

Eckhart Köppen wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:39:24 -0500, Nathan Turnage wrote:
>
>>I have the same problem with Raissa. I have entered 2 addresses and
>>niether one will update.
>

> Is this over GPRS or via a fixed connection?

Both. I use a Farallon EtherWave NIC, and an Ericsson T68i running on
the AT&T mobile network. To be honest I am not enitrely sure my settings
on the Newt are exactly what they should be, but noone can tell me how
to set it up properly.

Like I said, I can retrieve my email, but everytime I try Nethopper or
Raissa the slip on the Newt displays the message "Looking..." and it
just hangs. I can't figure out if I should have the configuration (on
the Newt) set to Server or Manual. If manual what Local IP and Router
Address do I use? Who can tell me what I need to know?

Using my Etherwave card I have the Newt setup for DHCP, and I get the
same performance. Email, yes, Raissa, no, but I can surf the net.

>>It doesn't help that there are no instrux for
>>the 40hz apps.

There is info on how to install, but not how to use it and make it work
  in most cases.

> Anyway, I can only cover the regular usage and cannot cover complete
> troubleshooting instructions for everything. Especially with things
> like Internet over GPRS, there is simply too much that can go wrong if
> you use devices not officially supported by your operator. This is
> probably worst in the US.

I would agree, GSM phones are largely yesterday's technology here. I had
to get an out of date phone, from a so-so service provider just to get a
phone that had A) IR, and B) would work on the GSM network.

Everyone is switching to CDMA here in Texas, and for good reason, the
signal is a lot clearer and doesn't fade out. I went from SprintPCS
(CDMA) to AT&T (GSM) solely to use my phone as a modem for my Newt. The
halfway functionality is livable, but disappointing nonetheless,
especially considering the loss of quality in voice service.

Like I said, noone has been willing to help. I posted 3 times on this
list and spent more time on the phone with AT&T than I care to.

>>I am trying to get Nitro and Neo to surf the web from my phone and have
>>no idea how to set it up properly. I can check and download my email,
>>but no web surfing joy. Not giving up yet, though.
>
> Could it be that you need to specify a proxy? Which operator are you
> using?

What is a proxy and why would I need to specify it? I am using AT&T
Mobile which I think they are billing as mLife.

-Nathan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html