[NTLK] AT&T Wireless and Newton (Was: eMate fun)

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 11:50:23 PDT

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:53:48 -0500, Nathan Turnage wrote:
> What is a proxy and why would I need to specify it? I am using AT&T
> Mobile which I think they are billing as mLife.

From what I've read about mLife it seems that AT&T wants to box you in
into their own little world... i.e. no way of getting out of their
network. This seems to be a common trend amongst operators.

Technically, it means that net traffic works only over predefined
ports, allows maybe only WAP/WML, uses some strange proxy/compression
software and is basically useless if you want to actually do some web
surfing.

I really hope I'm wrong though in this case (it is interesting that
email works) - maybe somebody can verify this, preferrably using a
laptop and doing some real web browsing?

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html