Re: [NTLK] ATA & Linear Flash Cards FAQ?

From: Edward Humes (ehumes_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jun 01 2003 - 10:15:23 PDT

On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 08:50 AM, Doctor Clu wrote:

> here is mention of the 1 GB microdrive, and it is
> listed as working. But at the very end of the entry it says.. "
> Works!!!
> But...."
> What is the "But..." specifics would be good.

I have some experience with the 340 mb microdrive, and I suspect the
"but" is a reference to the very slow performance of the drive with the
newton -- even slower than ATA flash memory cards -- when storing large
files, such as an mp3. It's really a crawl. This is a limitation of ATA
memory with the Newton, at least for the moment.

I get around the problem by downloading mp3 files to my linear flash
card, then putting them away to a store on the larger ATA card.
(downloading directly to the ata card stalls my newton every time -- i
wonder if other list members have this same experience?)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html