[NTLK] Can I use these cables instead of a USB adapter?

From: David-Michael Cook (bluefusion_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 07:25:49 PDT

Hey everyone; I was just wondering if instead of buying a USB to serial adapter (which is rather expensive and seems kind of unnecessary--I have no use for the second port, which is probably half the cost of the device), if I could use one of JKSales' Newton-port-to-PC-serial adapter (no dongle needed) and then use a Keyspan PC-serial-to-USB adapter?

I need to be able to use these on a Mac, however--not a PC. If at all possible, I'd want to use NewTen, but it says it works with Keyspan devices and lists the USA-28x... However, that particular model is quite pricey for me at the moment and if this double-adapter method would work, it's far cheaper to get...

The address of the Keyspan adapter is http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19W/

The PC Serial to Newton Dongle cable is here, called "PC Serial Cable": http://www.jksalesinc.com/2x00_cable.htm

So would these two cables output to a usable USB connection that would let me use OS X package installers? This would save me quite a bit (the Keyspan USB-serial is $80, a serial cable is $13, and a dongle is $35... whereas this entire thing Is around $40!)

Oh, and does anyone know if I could plug this baby into the back of my school's HP laserjet? It does have an old-style PC serial cable in back... Would that work (provided I had the right drivers for it)?

Thanks in advance!

D.M.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html