Re: [NTLK] Unable To Align Pen?

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 14:21:20 PDT

>That looks like a bad case of the infamous "jaggies". If you haven't
heard
>about the "jaggies", check the FAQ or search the NewtonTalk archive...

Nope, this is in all likeliness not a jaggies problem. It is an
alignment
problem. If I were you, I'd make two complete (not incremental) backups
and perform a hard reset. If this doesn't fix things, there's a hardware
problem.
The Newton alignment procedure simply restarts if it thinks the pen
hasn't
been tapped close enough to the X's. In my humble opinion this isn't
exactly
Apple-like. I'd have expected a notification telling the user WHY this
has to be repeated, instead of quietly repeating it over and over again.

If, as you describe it, the pen input is appearing above and to the left
of where
you are writing, try tapping below and to the right of the X's. It might
require
some try-and-error, but probably at some time your entries will be
accepted. From
there on you might try running through the alignment procedure again,
this time
tapping a little closer to the buttons.

One of the subtests of the Newton test program I am currently working on
is the
display of the current pen position. You tap the pen anywhere and the
horizontal
and vertical coordinates (or what Newtie thinks these coordinates are)
are shown.
If you want, I can send it to you and you can let me know what it says,
this
might help finding the problem.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de