Re: [NTLK] Phone dialing

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 05:55:45 PDT

Quoting David Howard <king_david_howard_at_hotmail.com>:

> > Wasn't there a package for adjusting the tones to be compatible with
> > Australian/New Zealand dial tones?
>
> Change the phone dialing to pulse or tone, just see which one works. These
> I believe seem to be the only two methods of dialing.
>
> Unless of course in Aus the phones dial backwards like the toilets/basins.

No, the issue is that Australian phone regulations (at the time) prohibited
devices that weren't phones from generating touch-tones. This was an effort
to outlaw "Red Boxes" that would let people make free calls from pay phones.
Ditto for New Zealand. I'm not going to get into a red box or phone phreaking
here, go do a Google search if you're interested.

Anyways, there's a patch called LocaleFix that will enable speaker dialing for
your current locale as well as fix a few other things that Apple mixed up:

http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/patches/LocaleFix1.1/

"There's nothing, nothing better than / that small computer with a pen.
Because one thing I can't abide / Hardware that won't let me decide." -FG
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html