Re: [NTLK] Phoenix ala Newton? (rumor alert)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 09:49:04 PDT

on 06/17/03 12:33 PM, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_usa.net wrote:

> on 6/17/03 3:32 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:
>
>> This is a continuation of
>> an action started in 1995 -- nothing to get excited about, just Apple
>> closing up some loose ends on their Newton intellectual property portfolio.
>
> Of course, this raises the question as to _why_ Apple felt they needed to
> close up these loose ends... Or maybe it was in a tickler file, and just got
> pulled by a worker, and finished, without anybody really paying attention to
> it? Or, maybe they have plans of moving it to OS X in a bigger way, and
> wanted to have this patent on file before they file their next, all, of
> course, to keep the competition from horning in.

My thought (as stated in the other thread) is that Apple probably does a
periodic internal audit of their IP portfolio and when they noticed this
open issue, they took action to close it. We've all seen how strict Apple
is about things related to intellectual property.

> My personal opinion re: a new device is that if ever Apple does something,
> it will be a cell phone, or based on one.

Why? I just don't get it. There's way too much complication around the
cell phone as it is without adding more unnecessary capabilities. It's a
*phone* for crying out loud, you make calls on it. No other functionality
is needed. My 5 year old cell phone works just fine, so I'm certainly not
going to waste money on something that plays games and crap. My only
interests are: can I get signal, and how long does the battery last.
Period. If I want to play a game, I'll buy a GameBoy. If I need other
info, I'll either use my MP130 or my DayTimer. The last thing Apple needs
is to dive into a market that's already over-saturated as it is.

- Eric.

I'm always forgetting that I have short term memory loss...
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html