Re: [NTLK] emate tight hinge issue

From: Anthony Velasco (ecotone_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 06:58:38 PDT

This is the condition that will destroy your video. The stiffness is
caused by the clutch springs slipping off the axle-mount. Once these
springs slip, the ones that are located on the side with the display
cable can tear the cable apart rather quickly. The more you use it in
this condition, the greater the chances are that it cannot be repaired.
I've seen some nasty, chewed up cables. The video quality, surprisingly,
does not degrade that much - until the display cable is pretty well
chopped up.=20

My suggestion is to stop using it until you have time to do the
maintenance. Or you can just count on spending much more money repairing
or replacing the eMate. The maintenance is much easier and cheaper than
the repairs. See Frank Gruendel's site for an excellent treatise on this
problem.

--=20
  Anthony Velasco, USFWS-Ecologist/ecotoxicologist

             ecotone_tv_at_hotmail.com

This Newt's trekking through cactusland and lov'n it!
Managing Sales and Licensing for Newton Software at:

 http://www.thisoldnewt.com/~tactilesales/index.html
or http://www.tactile.com - Tactile Systems, Inc.
Contact me via the above E-mail for more information