Re: [NTLK] Newbie ?s on Storage Cards

From: Eric Schneck (eschneck_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 05:53:35 PST

>Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:42:09 +0100
>From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newbie ?s on Storage Cards
>
>For the moment the partitionning options are quite limited. >Improving this is on my to-do list (just after sleeping enough >per night, though)

The first time I partioned my 220MB card, I did two equal partitions. I called them Code and Data, thinking I would put music on one and my programs on the other.

This did not work out so well. One problem was that I needed to do backups of the Code partition, but I did not have a large enough flash card to back up the 107MB partition (duh!). The other problem was that I accidently damaged some data on the Code partition, and had to reformat it. I had no data there, but it took a while to gather together all of the packages that had been there.

So the second time around, I got smart. I used the option to partition into one 4MB partition, and two partitions to use what was left. Now I have my "Essential" partition with the packages I use every day. I can back it up to a flash card, although I do almost no writing to that partition so there is not a lot of need to back it up. Then the first large partition holds larger, temporary packages (movies, books, etc) and the second large partition has my MP3's. That way, I can just erase the partition when I get tired of the songs on it.

The bottom line is that I don't think the partitioning choices are bad as they are (but it would be nice to be able to write-protect a partition.)

Eric

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html