Re: [NTLK] [Escale] Groups, Companies & Labels

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 07:58:42 PDT

on 03/05/03 09:58, Paul Guyot at pguyot_at_kallisys.net wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> First, I have to confess that I never use OS X AddressBook, but I use
> my Newton's Names on a daily basis.
>
> I would like your opinion about how to best synchronize NewtonOS'
> Groups, Companies and Labels into the AddressBook.
>
> I did it mostly wrong because of my lack of knowledge of the AddressBook.
>
> Nicolas uses the AddressBook but he does not use the Newton much. We
> came to several possible solutions:
>
> - we can synchronize Newton groups as OS X groups. After all, they're
> very similar in the way the data is *stored*.
> - we can synchronize Newton labels as OS X groups. They're very
> similar in the way the data is *displayed*.
> - we can synchronize Newton companies as OS X persons. Trouble is
> that a Newton company shall be sorted under its name but it can have
> as many affiliates as we want.
> - we can synchronize Newton companies as OS X persons and OS X group:
> * the company would be a person filed into a group
> * affiliates would be persons filed into the same group
>
> Finally, we can do a mix of the above.
>
> What do you think?

I haven't used the Address Book a lot myself either, since I'm mostly using
my Newton for that and Entourage for emails. I think the persons should be
persons in the Address Book and the Companies should be groups. Again, just
my $0.02...

-Laurent.

finger-pointing syndrome n.: All-too-frequent result of bugs, esp. in new or
experimental configurations. The hardware vendor points a finger at the
software. The software vendor points a finger at the hardware. All the poor
users get is the finger.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html