Re: [NTLK] Who's going to have over 30GB of music?

From: L A GREEN (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 12:47:12 PDT

OK HEAR it is37gb mp3's on pc1200-1500 cds mostly all in 12 wall-mounted cd holders200 cd kenwood cd player20gb rio riot mp3 player64mb internal 128mb ext rio 500 <for when the riot is recharging>a fair part of my collection was brought second hand, another part was either given to me or i picked up for free from various friends and very good jobs where cd's were aplenty. in the future i may carry mp3's on my newton (ty paul for the option) cds are played on random in my kenwood player and gets changed form time to time according to how my mood is or how long i got to listen to music uninterrupted. now im not goin to get into any piracy arguments, to each his own. all songs, and performances cannot be found in stores and all songs you wish to hear wont be found for cheap at the second hand store where there are lots of cd's to go thru but few you actually want to keep. sometimes the only option is to go online and download a song that you remember from childhood. if you dont want to share what music yo
u have and you dont want to download from someone who does then dont. but dont tell others they are wrong. the technology has been created and is out there to be used. your choice as to how it is used is your business. of course just MHO,LAG
"Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net> wrote:on 05/01/03 11:53 PM, David M. Ensteness at denstene_at_mac.com wrote:

> I have over 30GB.
>
> David
>
> On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 10:38 PM, Grant Hutchinson wrote:
>
>> In a previous message, Steve Payonzeck typed vigorously:
>>
>>> Uhhh... I will. I have ripped my entire CD collection
>>> AND bought about 40 songs off the iTunes store already
>>> - for a total of about 18,000 songs in my iTunes
>>> library - which means I need 2 30GB iPods and a 10GB
>>> to fit them all. Yikes.

All I have to say is, GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY!!! How many CDs do you folks
have??? At roughly 12-15 songs per CD, 18,000 songs roughly equals
1200-1500 CDs!!!! How in the world do you a) store that many (add a room?)
and b) ever listen to even a fraction of that many songs? That's more than
5 WEEKS if you listen 24/7!! It boggles the mind!! Oh, and for anyone
who's bought 1200-1500 CDs at the usual $10-15 a piece (i.e., somewhere in
the $12,000 to $22,500 range), even the extravagant price of a 30 GB iPod is
only a minute fraction of what you've spent already...

- Eric.