[NTLK] GUI for Pen Computing WAS RE: A thank you and newcomer report

From: Tony Kan (tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 20:57:55 PDT

I suppose weighing itself against that is the need to make it easy for
people to transition from one metaphor to another. It is always tricky
trying to work out a suitable path for consumers to navigate that optimises
adoption rates while introducing new concepts and utility and consequently
lengthening the learning curve/investment required.

While looking into Tablet PCs I recalled that there was an article somewhere
that the Apple HWR technology had gone on to be included in Calligrapher by
Paragraph. I might have got my facts wrong here and I stand open to be
corrected.

On surfing to their site I see that they have changed name to Phat
Corporation. Calligrapher lives on and provides HWR anywhere on the screen
for a Pocket PC. I noticed that they have a product called PenOffice which
allows HWR anywhere on a Tablet PC or a pen-enabled Windows setup such as
the Fujitsu Stylistic tablets. I wonder if anyone on the list has had any
experience with either Tablet PCs or other windows tablets. How do these
environments compare to the Newton OS environment for usability?

In NZ, I noticed that a major grocery supplier has started using them for
on-site inventory control.

Cheers
Tony.

PO Box 33-200
106 Panorama Rd
Sumner
Christchurch
New Zealand
Ph +64-25-339-745
Fax +64-3-326-7712

[Tony Kan] <snip>
Only by ridding yourself of the inapplicable metaphors can you
get a good UI. Microsoft doesn't seem to grasp that.

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

[Tony Kan] <snip>

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html