[NTLK] Looking for spent 2x00 battery pack

From: Doug Parker (doug_at_ispinn.com)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 07:50:17 PDT

> From: Henry Behmann <henryb_at_sentex.net>
>
> I am looking for a dead as a doornail battery pack for my 2100 Newton (a
> bare bones unit from J&K). I would like to open it and stuff in some good
> cells. If anyone has such a pack I would be willing to pay a small amount
> and of course the postage to my Canadian address.

Confirmation received...
Confirmation received...
Confirmation received...

I'm taking a deep breath as I click the SEND button from my *other*, safe,
email account to say... ;-)

I wanted to repair my battery pack and replace the cells using newer, longer
lasting NiMHs, but I wanted the pack to appear OEM when I was through, so I
pulled mine apart using a single edge razor blade to split the case along its
welded edges. The process took me about ten minutes, but it came apart
surprisingly easily and cleanly--with lots of patience. The extra effort allows
me to remate the two halves of the pack at the end of the exercise.

Check the archive--there's information about where to buy either 1700 mAh or
2000 mAh cells with tabs. Buy the ones with tabs! Also, take Frank's suggestion
to watch the size of the cells. Some 2000 mAh cells have larger diameters. When
you reassemble the pack, you won't be able to insert it into your Newt.
Tolerances of the battery pack and case are very tight!

I reassembled my pack using a chemical welding solvent. You'd never know it had
been opened!

Contact me off list for details and instructions, or to arrange to have me do
the work for you.

Doug Parker

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html