Re: [NTLK] mp3, mad max and ata

From: Edward Humes (ehumes_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 12:46:34 PDT

My attempt at building a music collection on an ata card for my newton=20=

is now working -- but very SLOWLY.

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 11:31 PM, Eckhart K=F6ppen wrote:
>> 4. i downloaded via ncu daniel padilla's mp3bullder package onto the
>> ata store. It created an audio soup.

> =46rom MAD Max 1.0 onwards, this is not needed any more.

that's what I thought, too, but apparently for storage on an ATA card,=20=

you do. Without it, I could not put away an audio file to the ATA card.

>> 6. fetch url successfully downloads the same file onto my regular
>> linear flash card. progress bar moves, light blinks, process takes a
>> while, but gets done.
>
> I think that the transfer rate over ethernet is somethink like =
10k/sec,
> limited by the flash memory write speed

thanks for pointing this out, Eckhart. I thought I had crashed, but the=20=

writing to the ATA card is just EXTREMELY slow (at least on my newt=20
with the sandisk 220). So it makes sense then to download the mp3 file=20=

to linear flash -- that only takes a a couple minutes. Then pop out=20
your wifi card and replace it with the ata card, make that the default=20=

store, then put away the mp3 file to Mad Max. In the past this has been=20=

the choke point for me -- but now I realize my newton hadn't crashed,=20
it was just crawling. It takes at least a half hour to store a 4 mb mp3=20=

on my ata card.

> I haven't tried it myself but was hoping that it would work...
Well, give it a shot. Your card may work better than mine (I gather=20
from paul guyot's compatibility list that some ATA cards are faster=20
with the newton than others). As long as you can let the newton do its=20=

thing while attending to work or other things elsewhere (sans Newton),=20=

you can gradually build your music collection onto an ata card over a=20
period of days, a bit at a time. At least that's how I'm going to do=20
it. I'm looking forward to taking on an upcoming trip a music player,=20
ebook reader and, of course, mobile handheld computer all in one.

Ed

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html