Re: [NTLK] mp3, mad max and ata

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 23:31:45 PDT

On Mon, 19 May 2003 17:31:09 -0700, Edward Humes wrote:
> 4. i downloaded via ncu daniel padilla's mp3bullder package onto the
> ata store. It created an audio soup. The song title appears in mad max
> and plays just fine. this is supposed to be the all important first
> file that makes the fetch function work.

From MAD Max 1.0 onwards, this is not needed any more.

> 6. fetch url successfully downloads the same file onto my regular
> linear flash card. progress bar moves, light blinks, process takes a
> while, but gets done.

I think that the transfer rate over ethernet is somethink like 10k/sec,
limited by the flash memory write speed.

> I am stumped. Is the problem that ata cards and mp3 files don't mix
> well on the newton? I know there are list members who use their newtons
> for music players -- how do you work around this?

I haven't tried it myself but was hoping that it would work...

Some technical background info: Fetch URL creates a VBO the size of the
data to download. It will be created on the default store. The VBO is
created right after the HTTP headers have been received. When
receiving, Fetch URL writes the data into the VBO and flushes the VBO
cache at certain intervals. At the end of the download, you end up with
a pretty huge (for Newton standards) VBO on the default store,
referenced from a soup entry in the Inbox soup. MAD Max takes this
entry in the Put Away script and moves it into the Audio soup.

IrOBEX does something similar with one exception: It does not create
the VBO right away but stores data under 30k size in a regular
NewtonScript object. Once it has reached 30k, it creates a VBO on the
default store and appends data to it, i.e. it grows the VBO as needed.

Filing any entry from one store to another is handled by the built-in
functions, i.e. MAD Max doesn't do anything itself there...

I guess a simple test for Paul to reproduce this is to create a large
VBO on an ATA store.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html