Re: [NTLK] leaving ink as ink?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 06:51:07 PST

>From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] leaving ink as ink?
>
>Aux environs du 6/11/03 à 23:35 -0800, sous le titre "[NTLK] leaving
>ink as ink?", l l prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire les mots
>suivants:
> > On a Newton, is it possible to leave ink
> >unrecognized but still manipulate it with the usual
> >editing gestures?
>
>Yes. You can divide words in strokes with the ^ gesture and merge
>strokes in words with the V gesture.
>However, I vaguely recall that recognition can be affected then (as
>it it would only recognize the first part of the word or something
>like this).

... and yer ole pal the 'Kasko adds below bit about Ink Text in NOS 2.0:

"Using Ink Text, each word is recorded as it is written and inserted in the
position indicated by the caret. This is in itself different from the
current [aka NOS 1.x - DJV.] digital ink model but in addition, the ink
text is scaled to a point size [which you can set to 1:1, 75% and 50% -
DJV.] and can have
formatting such as bold, italic and underline applied to it. Ink text can
also be cut and pasted within text or other ink text such that the words
flow and re-wrap."

(Source: "First Look: Newton OS 2.0" by Vernon Huang, M.D., of Tactile
Systems http://www.pencomputing.com/developer/newton_20.html)

- All that, plus you can scrub out Ink Text words with the usual zigzagging.
IIUC, those written and unrecognized doodles are believed by Newton to be
strings aka "words", even if it doesn't know them yet. But it allows you to
at least manipulate these words just as any other words.

Vernon also points at some other nice 2.0-features in his article, such as:
"Another handy addition to the recognition system is the ability to program
in "macros". One might write an abbreviation on the screen and have it
automatically expanded to some verbose text." - obviously a very brilliant
feature that's unfortunately not very obvious to rig. I wouldn't ever have
discovered it from using my Newton , hadn't I already known this from the
Manual.

I found this 1995 article very informative. It's an excellent primer and
might be of general interest for any 2.x-user, so check it out.

For detailed how-tos to any features described by Vern, pls. check
NewtonHandbook(OS2.0).pdf and other manuals at
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/OMP-130 (for NOS 2.0 on MP1x0)
or the User Manuals at http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/2x00 and
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/eMate respectively. Newton OS
2.0 has really more delightful features under the hood than the ease of use
of the interface let's you guess at - at least that's my humble and
altogether uneducated impression after just dipping into the Manual.

Hope y'all have a nice weekend -

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html