Re: [NTLK] Who Wants Shell Access?

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 13:59:39 PST

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 12:17 PM, Marty wrote:
> This isn't a big deal.

That's exactly what I want to find out...is it a big deal? Is anyone
interested in getting cheap dial-up shell access? Will that put more
MP110's MP120's & MP130's into the hands of the faithful?

> In fact you could have it up and running by now
> if you'd been getting busy instead of chatting :~)

(ahem) It IS "up and running now" But I'm the only member :-b Sort of
lonely though :-\ and it works so well (for me and my equipment) I thought
I would offer it up to the Newton Community as a community service.

> Shell access is old school text based command line (typed commands)
> computer access.

Yep, but at the same time, it's the future (OS X = BSD = Unix). I'm trying
learn NetBSD & OpenBSD at a level strong enough to be a Unix tech support
person or security admin for a medium sized ISP or online content provider.

I have built my own firewall out of a Macintosh Quadra 840av. I am now
building a dial-up shell server out of a Macintosh SE/30. I know that it's
sort of geeky, but it is a fun learning experience and I love my Mac's.
They are fabulous machines and I want them to be useful, well into the
future.

> Check the Newted community if you want to have free access to email and
> other services from your Newt. http://newted.org

I'll have to check it out further.

My SBC Yahoo DSL service is about the best service I ever had to-date.
1.5GB of online storage, free unlimited nationwide dial-up included, 25MB
of email space / 10MB per-file limit / POP and Web accessible. The only
thing it lacked was shell access for my Newton. Now it doesn't.

Eventually, I may upgrade to a bigger Newton and experiment with wireless.
But for now, since can connect my Newton to the Internet, I have found my
Newton much, more, incredibly useful!

> PS Making a contribution to Newted is good too!

How about a Toll Free Shell Access provider for the entire Newted
Community? ;-)

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog for Mac OS