Re: [NTLK] Old Newt, New Tricks

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 02:40:49 PST

Mark,

> Here's something interesting I discovered (MP2100). I've made some tests and
> have confirmed it. If you set the pen thickness to the thinnest setting, you
> get the highest accuracy

Interesting observation.

I have noticed the effect but I think it's not the machine that gets better
but you. With a thin line, letter shapes are drawn slightly more accurately
as the visual feedback between the hand and the eye is given more
information to work with.

The same kind of thing is apparent if you use a technical pen and blunt HB
pencil - the results are very different.

As far as I am aware, nothing on the Newt changes with different line
thickness, the digitiser registers the stroke with its usual precision and
then after the inker displays a visible trail on the screen. The width of
that post-stroke trail is what the pref works on.

I sometimes revert to thin pens if my HW is going to pot but the ink is
harder to see and to my eyes looks a little miserable and 'scratchy'. The
next pen thickness up looks smoother and is easier to read given the
contrast is no so fantastic.

Joel.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html