Re: [NTLK] GlobeTrotter help

From: Julian Wright (julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 10:26:19 PST

On 22 Nov 2003 at 9:04, Luiz Petroni wrote:

> PT100 is useful to debug the scripts or if you will need any kind of
> terminal connection.

Ah right. That's fair enough. I just got the impression that someone on

the list had used PT100 to actually use their GT card usefully.

> Although you may not need a user id / password you must configure the
> primary/secundary dns servers addresses so that the pkg can use nie to
> decode/reach the addresses you are inputing.
>
> Did you configure the dns servers addresses?

Well I did for my ISP's DNS servers, yes. Though it does occur to me
that perhaps I need Vodafone's DNS servers instead. I'll look into
that, and probably will need to change it. But I don't think this is
the problem because the link doesn't just sit there while an
unreachable DNS server is contacted, it gets dropped immediately on the

initial PPP negotiation.

> Do you have your sim card password locked?

Didn't even think about this one. I just took the fresh sim and put it
straight in the GT card. I have a separate sim for the card which has a

data plan only attached to it. I was warned not to use it in my phone
for voice calls unless I didn't mind paying a NZ$20/min charge for it.
:(

[pause]

Ok I put the GT sim in my cellphone and it started up without asking
for a PIN. So this can't be it either. Good idea though.

I also tried using PT100 to telnet to an IP address to eliminate the
DNS theory above, and it didn't work either.

When you or anyone else set up their GT, did you have to enter a
name/password in the PPP setup or were your fields blank too?

Thanks for your help so far!

Cheers, Julian.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html