[NTLK] GlobeTrotter help

From: Julian Wright (julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 22:27:34 PST

Hello all!

On the strength of numerous glowing reports of success on this list I
have purchased a Vodafone Mobile Connect Card, which is basically a re-
badged Option GlobeTrotter GPRS card for use in my MP2K1. Try as I
might, however, I cannot get it to work. :(

I have followed the instructions at
  http://www.pixell.net/doppler/GT/trotter_modem_script.html
to the letter, including making the script a direct serial link rather
than a modem link, but the connection is never established.

I ran PT100 and manually entered the commands in the above script and
managed to get a CONNECT 57600 message followed by what looked by a PPP
session starting up, but I fail to see how that is useful as the link
is terminated when I close PT100 down.

I have had NIE working fine with my 3com ethernet card for months, but
I knew I would need to install the Serial/Modem enabler, so have done
so. When I try any TCP/IP based transfer NIE gets as far as starting up
the PPP driver and then, depending on the application either nothing
happens (with Courier, Raissa, Mad Max and NetTime), or I get an error
message.

NetHopper says "Error loading image: The Newton Internet Enabler could
not establish connection with your Internet Service Provider".

SimpleMail says "Problem connecting. PPP Negotiation failed. Check the
currently selected connection authorization settings, user name, and
password."

I checked with Vodafone tech support and they said I didn't need a
username/password for the PPP link, so I left those fields blank in the
setup. Apparently the SIM card is all that is needed for authorisation.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Julian.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html