Re: [NTLK] Rechargeable NiMH AA bateries for Newton

From: Matthew Reidsma (matthew_at_reidsrow.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 12:23:53 PST

On Friday, November 28, 2003, at 03:09 PM, Luiz Petroni wrote:

> But if I load 4 AA NiMH rechargeables in the AA Tray they will be
> treated as alkalines batteries and will not be charged, right?

Correct.

> Mark Benson wrote:
>
>> I should warn you guys you CAN NIOT under ANY circumstances use the
>> built-in charger circuit in the Newton to charge NiMH batteries.

Not quite Mark. IN the 2k series, the original battery was a NiMH, and
the Newt charges it just fine. Likewise, there is a fairly
straightforward hack to the battery tray that will allow you to charge
NiMH batteries in the tray using the adapter. It essentially makes the
tray seem like the built in battery, and includes the proper
electronics for current limiting and temperature monitoring.

-Matthew

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html