Re: [NTLK] ot: cyberdog (was: Re: Rechargeable NiMH AA bateries for Newton)

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 11:30:40 PST

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 8:23 AM, Henry Stukenborg wrote:

> what mail features still draw you to CD? I never got into CD when it was
> available - I tried it to bang around on OpenDoc, but didn't try and
> really live with it.

I never did like the Netscape nor the Outlook interfaces...too many
features, too much clutter. (Who invented that triple-split-window idea
anyway?) The Cyberdog interface is just like what Mac user's have been used
to for years. Simple, unobtrusive and very "Finder" like.

I've look at Eudora too. I'm cheap, but not that cheap. I hate the
virus-like software that some companies produce to spew ads at you. If I
wanted ads, I'd own a Windows machine and install every known (free)
spyware application available, including Netzero.

Send...Fetch...
Cyberdog does great text email and straight forward, drag-n-drop ftp. It
doesn't "preview" html. I love it's Stationary feature for signatures and
it has some (just ok) SPAM filtering capabilities. I have long since
supplanted its built in web browser (for obvious reasons) with a QuicKey
that open links directly in Netscape and I also have a QuicKey for spell
check. What more could you want your email program to do? Read html? Run
Javascript? Not! ...Stay "Good Boy!"

Although OpenDoc was meant to be much, much more, and Cyberdog was only
meant to be a demonstration of the OpenDoc, I never really did use OpenDoc
for its programming features. I think there is stuff OpenDoc can do that no
one will ever know about. In the long run, OpenDoc is dead but Cyberdog
lives.

Lastly, if you haven't noticed. I'm quite passionate about Apple. When I
heard MacOS X included mail.app, I knew that everything was going to be OK.
The world wasn't going to end (anytime soon) and eventually, when I
upgraded to MacOS X, I could do so with the comfort of knowing: The spirit
of Cyberdog would greet me on the other side. (tissues please)

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog OpenDoc Transport for MacOS
--
   |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"