Re: [NTLK] Adhoc wireless - Newton & PC Laptop (or otherwise)

From: Jim Siburt (jsiburt_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 05:59:25 PDT

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 02:00 AM, Blair Rosser wrote:

> Okay. I'm stumped...
>
> With a great tip from Jim Siburt (and a driver compliments Jim and Paul
> Guyot), I purchased two Proxim Harmony OEM cards (C28-1076 P) from
> TigerDirect hoping (at long last) to get in on the wireless revolution.

<blushing>hee hee Stop you're embarrassing me.</blushing>

Seriously all thanks goes to Paul I just got a wild idea and he had the
solution.

> I've got one installed in my laptop, and it is doing what a good
> wireless card should do - seeking out and finding a network and
> connecting to it. That is, when I set it to infrastructure mode, seek
> out an acces point, then connect to it. DHCP works fine.
>
> The Newton, however, is not able to perform the same trick with the
> same
> settings: "DHCP server unavailable or unable to configure." No WEP, no
> SSID, infrastructure mode, set for DHCP.

I'll look at my settings and get back to you. I am using WEP and DHCP
with no problems.(Using the settings for the card not Internet Setup)

> However, this is minor nuisance - not being able to connect to a
> configured network that my PC *can* connect to. What I'd really like to
> do is have my Newton connect to my PC (running WinXP home edition)
> using
> the adhoc setting and bridge this connection to "wired" gigabit LAN
> connection.

I have been successful but I am using Appletalk in OS X so I am not
sure if it is possible with WinXP.

> Should I be able to do this, or am I expecting too much from the
> current
> state of the wireless software on the Newt? Or, could it be a WinXP
> config issue.

"Windowsss, yesss! yesss! definitely windosss my precioussss."

JS
In a World of confusion only the confused seem content.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html