Re: [NTLK] Emate battery rebuild problem

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 15:24:43 PDT

> I did the reset. The battery pack is brand new and had very little
> charge. The eMate said that the battery was low as soon as I put it in

> and turned it on. Will it say charging or will it say waiting until
its
> charged? I just want to be sure that the new battery pack is OK.

Hi Jim and list,

some more comments...

1) You should download NewtTest which you will find in the software
section of the site in the signature. It will show you quite a lot
battery and charge related info if you set "Test Type" to Battery.

2) Since you already have the latest OS installed and done
a hard reset, software can't be the problem.

3) As you said you are using the 9 Watt power adapter, you would
be able to charge a new original pack with 1200 mAh cells in 90
minutes. As you said the rebuild was done with 1650 mAh cells, you
could expect a charge time of around two hours, not much more.

4) From what you describe I'd think there is a hardware problem with
the battery. Please let us know what NewtTest reports the battery
type is.

5) If it reports "Alkaline", the Newton hasn't recognized the
rechargeable pack. In this case try to get hold of a multimeter
and measure the resistance across the two white wires in the
connector. It should be about 10 kiloOhm at room temperature.
If you can't measure a resistance between 5 and 15 kiloOhm,
either the refurbisher forgot to put the temperature resistor
back in, or he used a wrong one, or he didn't put it back in
correctly.

6) If the expected resistance can be measured, measure the
voltage across the red and the black wire. It should be at
least 4 Volt.

7) There are no contacts in the eMate pack like in the
2x00 pack as someone mentioned. All contact with the eMate's
main logic board is through the little white connector.

7) Last but not least, if you want to have a closer look at
how an eMate battery looks from the inside, have a look here:

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_battery_pack.html

If you can't get this problem resolved, let me know, I will
most likely be able to help you.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de