Re: [NTLK] WLAN broadcast? (was A Newton Replacement: facts)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 21:42:17 PDT

Aux environs du 6/10/03 à 20:45 -0400, sous le titre "[NTLK] WLAN
broadcast? (was A Newton Replacement: facts",
magicpenguin_at_torpedobird.com prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire les
mots suivants:
>Just jumping into further peril and 'out-there' ideas...
>
>Is there anyway a newt, with a LAN and WLAN card, could act as a
>wireless access-point(in essence). I know little about newton
>programming or wireless stuff, but that would extremely cool, not to
>mention useful.
>So how hard would this be (or does it exist and I am blind?)

It's still about extending what the actual driver does.
Developing a router with two Ethernet cards (or just one) would be
easier. In fact, anyone can do it in NewtonScript. I don't think
performances would be very good, but it's definitely doable.

An access-point requires to set the card in a specific mode, which
Hiroshi's driver doesn't allow as far as I know. So one would need to
write another driver or wait for Hiroshi to provide us with these
features. Unfortunately, he's very slow in development because he's
very busy with other things.

Also, I don't think that "WLAN broadcast" is the proper term. Newtons
can already broadcast on Wireless cards with the UDP protocol.
(basically, our Dock TCP/IP module with Rendezvous does exactly
that). What you want is on a lower level.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/