Re: [NTLK] TCP/IP on Newton?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 06:23:51 PDT

Martin Joseph wrote:

> Actually that sounds wrong. What Jon is describing is his windows
> desktop talking to the printer via tcp/ip and his newton talking to his
> desktop via appletalk. This could work even if the switches are
> blocking appletalk (why would you ever do this?).

My former employer configured all of their switches to only route TCP/IP, to
get people to stop using 'wasteful' protocols like NetBEUI and IPX. This
meant that I could print to a network LaserJet, provided that it had
AppleTalk enabled (you can do that with the buttons on the printer, provided
it isn't locked down) and that it was on the same network segment as my
Newton (not always the case in a large office environment).

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html