Re: [NTLK] FAT Support through APIs: Was Re: newtontalk Digest V3 #549

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 06:33:11 PDT

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:21:00 +0200, Paul Guyot wrote:
> Finally, for MP3, we probably want to play them directly from the FAT
> partition for speed reasons. I therefore consider either to fool Mad
> Player by creating a mock soup with MP3s in it or call your library
> from a custom application (probably the latter as for a mock soup,
> I'll need to index all the MP3s).

The way I would integrate FAT support to MAD Max is to have a new type
of MP3 entry in the Audio soup which will simply refer to a file on a
FAT partition. This would of course require access from MAD Max to the
FAT file system, but if POSIX-like functions (e.g. open, close and
read) were available, it wouldn't be too hard. Adding would be either
done by importing a whole folder or by pointing MAD Max to single
files, all done through a simple file browser interface.

The playback part would need to have an addional FAT file handler, but
something needs to be done there anyway. The current way of scheduling
a whole VBO is not really UI friendly. A better way would be to revive
the old code which scheduled small buffers. Those could be read easily
from a FAT file.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html