Re: [NTLK] TCP/IP on Newton?

From: Jonathan Wise (For NewtonTalk) (newtontalk_at_jonandnic.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 08:35:47 PDT

Wanted to clarify this statement, which I shot off in a hurry on my way out the door this morning.
Unfortunately, it's probably not enough to have your Newton and your PC on a hub sharing your network drop. The nature of TCP/IP dictates that the packets will likely travel to the nearest router, bouncing around the network, until they make their way from Newt to PC. Meaning that if a managed switch is filtering your AppleTalk packets, it doesn't matter how close you are to the Newt, the packets still won't (in all likelihood) make it there.

The only way to keep AppleTalk going between your PC and the Newt is a direct connection. I'm not sure how it would work Serial... Newton obviously supports AppleTalk over serial, and Windows can treat the serial port as a network adapter for RAS... but I don't think you'll be able to make an AppleTalk connection over serial to a Windows box. The best solution is a NIC dedicated to the connection to the Newt. This way the packets aren't going through your network switches, rather directly to and from the Newt. You'll need a cheapo network card (<$10) and a cross-over cable -- and permission from IT to crack open your desktop :op

Once that's established, you'll still need to set-up Print Service for Macintosh, and AppleTalk on your Windows box. Capture a network printer to a port (via LPR, aka Print Services for Unix) so that Windows treats it as a local printer, and voila -- you can print from Newt. Newton (and other Macs) will consider it to be a LaserWriter. Although written for another reason, this article (http://www.jonandnic.com/system/comment-view.asp?item=366&type=1ntains information on this part of the process...

Hope that helps!
Jon