[NTLK] TCP/IP on Newton?

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 16:19:54 PDT

Hi folks,

I have this uneasy feeling this must be a FAQ, but I didn't find
it there. So please be gentle.

I've learned today that our system administrators switched off all
AppleTalk. There are heaps of printers out there that can be
reached (as they said) via TCP/IP. My question is whether this
is possible at all without installing Basilisk (see, I DID read
the FAQ...)

The Newton's Internet Setup has a "Manual" setting that allows me to set

a) Local IP address
b) Subnet mask
c) Gateway/Router address
d) Primary DNS / Name server address

Our administrator, who until eight hours ago hadn't ever seen
a Newton, said that this should be sufficient to connect if he
sets up a fixed IP address for me. Which he would have done
if his computer's hard disk hadn't died the very moment the
promise was made.

I'm wondering, though, if this is worth the effort. The dock only
allows connecting via Serial/Modem/AppleTalk, the AppleTalk
prefs in the preferences panel only lets me choose between LocalTalk
and AppleTalk.

Thanks for all insights.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de