[NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Need an eBay auction to bid on

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 14:17:02 PDT

Hi all,

please excuse the off-topic post. The subject isn't as stupid
as it seems. Some days ago eBay.com (or seemingly eBay.com) sent me
a mail that said...

Dear eBay User,

During our regular update and verification of the accounts,
we could not verify your current information. Either your
information has changed or it is incomplete.
As a result, your access to bid or buy on eBay has been restricted.
According to our site policy you will have to confirm that you are
the real owner of the eBay account by log in and complete the form
that will pop up or else your account will be suspended without
the right to register again with eBay.
After you will login please verify your information in order to
complete this verification.

Although the source code of this html mail looks innocent enough,
I'm not going to type my password into a form of which I don't know
it was really sent from eBay. I am able to log in and bid at the German
eBay just fine, and I can log in at eBay.com just fine, too. I am,
however, using their standard login page and not the form in
the mail I was sent.

I sent eBay a mail twice asking if this has really come from
them, and, true to form, they haven't answered nor even acknowledged
they received my mail. I wonder what these people charge so much money
for.

What I am looking for is an auction on which I can bid to make
sure I can still bid at eBay.com. Obviously, I'm not too eager to
win, I just want to confirm I can bid. Would any of you folks have an
auction
running on which I can bid with a reasonable chance of not being
the winner?

Or, as a second option, is anybody aware of an eBay email address
that is read by someone who really answers? Like, a human being?

Thanks

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html