[NTLK] AAC? Speaking of MP3's and compression

From: Goodwin, Greg (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 13:01:53 PST

      I see on iTunes a mention of it reading MP3's and AAC's? ...

"The software will be able to read music files encoded with AAC, a format that Apple says "compresses much more efficiently than older formats like MP3...while delivering quality rivaling that of uncompressed CD audio." All the songs in the Apple store will be encoded with AAC, although iTunes will also support MP3."

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-998590.html

      Checking further I see that this is explained at...

http://www.apple.com/mpeg4/aac/

       AAC = Advanced Audio Coding.

       Interesting. Anyway, better compression, higher quality sound, but what is known about it, and in by those that have looked into this, would the Newton have the power to read this compression?

       Thanks!

       Greg Goodwin

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html