Re: [NTLK] Scripting Applications

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 00:02:39 PDT

Il me semble que le 5/09/03 à 8:24 +0200, Sarfaraz Dawoodi nous racontait:
>Further to my recent post on PowerTrans, I have a question...
>
>Are Newton applications "scriptable" like apps on MacOS?

Newton applications are Better scriptable than MacOS applications.
They're pure Objects and you can send & intercept messages.

>Let me explain: Thanks to the great guys on this list, I now I have
>PowerTrans running in Spanish. PT has a mode for learning vocabulary.
>It's a bit like a flashcard program so it presents you with a word and
>you write the translation, then it tells you got it right (or more
>often, wrong!) The problem is, you have to choose by hand the words you
>want to learn. With 72000 words in its dictionary, this is a little
>tedious. You can't just select all the words as it uses too much
>storage. What I would like is to randomly choose a certain number of
>words. It occurred to me that if something like Applescript was on the
>Newt, I might be able to do it myself.

This will definitely be some work and requires NewtonScript
programming skills. It is totally doable, though. Get ViewFrame from
your local UNNA retailer and then press the button with the four
arrows, drag to any view (visual object), and you'll be able to
inspect from there. After a while, you'll realize what has to be done
for your purposes and you'll be able to write some script/package
that does exactly what you want.

Otherwise, you can go and use LearnFast.
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/learnfast/

I'll try to do a 2.3 release next week.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/