Re: [NTLK] PC slot on 2x00 no longer working

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 13:54:54 PDT

Thanks for the offer Laurent, but I think I'm going to
take up Frank on his offer. When it comes to being a
hobbiest, I try to do as little to my Newt as
possible...I use it too much to want to do any kind of
experimentation on it... My CPU upgrade is about as
far as I want to go on my Newt...You know, if I didn't
rely on it as much as I do (I shudder to think of what
I would do without it) I would have no problem with
hardware experimentation!

The only part that sucks about swapping out mother
boards is now I have to unsolder my speed upgrade and
put it on the new motherboard...what a pain!

Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net>
wrote:
> on 09/09/03 19:09, Frank Gruendel at fg2_at_pda-soft.de
> wrote:
>
> >> This Newt is relegated to the parts shelf.
> >> That's really unfortunate in that I've had this
> Newt
> >> since new...this is the one I paid $1000 for. I
> hate
> >> to just, you know...let it sit on a shelf...
> >> Yeah, I know I can swap mother boards...but it
> >> wouldn't be the same!
> >
> > Just in case you change your mind, let me know. I
> have
> > some mainboards here that would definitely set you
> back
> > much less than what you'd pay at J&K for a new
> Newton.
> > And, in my opinion, swapping mainboards would,
> kind of,
> > not change the Newton's personality. It'd still be
> your
> > trusty old Newton, only with a heart transplant.
> Better
> > than an altogether new Newton...
> > Or, if you want to risk the cost of shipping here
> and
> > back, you can send the thing my way and I can see
> what
> > I can do.
>
> I, ermmm, still have my dead board that I was
> supposed to, ermmm, send to
> Frank (sorry Frank, procastination I guess, I still
> have your address,
> though ;-)
>
> Anyway, Ed, if you think you can do something with
> it, it's yours. Like I
> said, it is somehow dead. Nothing apparently is
> broken. It was not dropped
> or subject to any shock that might have broken
> something. I'm not in
> electronic, so I can't tell what's wrong. But maybe
> you could repair yours?
> Plus, I'm only 15 minutes from where you live...
>
> -Laurent.
> --

> Laurent Daudelin AIM/iChat: LaurentDaudelin
> <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
> Logiciels Nemesys Software
> mailto:laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net
>
> Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools
> are on the same side.
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know', the end result is tyranny and oppression , no matter how holy the motives"
     -Robert Heinlein, Revolt in 2100