Re: [NTLK] Shreve Systems and the Napoleonic Code

From: Andy Mulhearn (unxmully_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 11:00:07 PDT

On Sunday, Sep 14, 2003, at 18:49 Europe/London, Mike O'Brien wrote:

>> They have that Napoleonic code thing down there in Louisiana, USA, so
>> watch your ass when you deal with them.
>
> My understanding is that Louisiana finally caved and replaced the
> Napoleonic
> Code with English Common Law (what the rest of us use) about ten or
> twenty
> years ago. Louisiana lawyers used to really like the whole Napoleonic
> Code
> thing because lawyers from other states typically didn't know a thing
> about it.

Just for clarity, this Napoleonic law malarky is the reverse of
innocent until proven guilty, i.e. guilty until proven innocent. Right?

> If no one's able to pursue a legal complaint against Shreve, I don't
> think this
> is the reason any longer. Far more likely that they're in cahoots with
> the local
> establishment. This is a far more likely Southern scenario, in my
> mind.

Isn't this just a case of telling the appropriate Credit Card company
to not make the payment and after a while the offender either mends
their ways or no credit card company will take them as a payee?

Andy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html