Re: [NTLK] Need info for card lending page

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 00:11:54 PDT

Frank Gruendel wrote:
> I do need your help for this. For one, I'd like a list of
> all the packages that need to be on the card to install
> Ethernet connectivity.

Well, all of NIE (including the extra packages) of course.
Apart from that all of the possible Ethernet card drivers, either at
Ed's site or at Chuma.
http://newton.tek-ed.com/
http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/

You might want to include some of the rescue package as well, that way
the cards can do 'double duty'.
I thought that Paul Guyot wrote one of the them but can't seem to find
it on http://www.kallisys.com/newton/
Others will chime in hopefully.

> I asked for that some days ago already, but haven't received a single
> answer.

Sorry about that.

> So if you can help me with that, thanks. I know what to do to make my
> card talk
> to my Mac, but that might not be sufficient for all cards and all Macs.

The above should be sufficient.

> For a start: Is it correct that it is not possible to connect to a PC
> directly via a crossover cable? I know it is possible to a Mac since I
> am doing this. Would it be possible to connect directly to other
> platforms like Linux, and if it would, what would be needed for that?

Things that go beyond the storage space of a card, like Basilisk with a
Mac ROM image...
You could include these on a CD-R of course, though strictly speaking
you would be engaging in illegal activities. (due to the ROM image file)

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html