Re: [NTLK] Need info for card lending page

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 05:08:48 PDT

Frank Gruendel wrote:

> as soon as I have caught up a bit on all the schedules I am
> currently way behind, I want to start the card lending page.
> I do need your help for this. For one, I'd like a list of
> all the packages that need to be on the card to install
> Ethernet connectivity. I asked for that some days ago already,

It depends what protocol you want to use over Ethernet.

For Ethertalk, I believe that only Newton Devices and the appropriate Ethernet
driver are necessary. This would work for a properly setup MacOS environment
(with NCU running in Classic, or OS > 7.5)

For TCP/IP, you'd need Internet Enabler, Internet Setup, Newton Devices, NIE
Ethernet, and a TCP/IP Dock package. This would work for Escale, DILTester,
PkgInstall-MacOSX, NewtSync (with the NewtSync package).

In an unrelated story, can someone please upload Andrew Patrikalakis'
PkgInstall-MacOSX to UNNA (with the source code)? His page is gone and a
while ago I was going to try to port it to Windows and Linux/x86.

> For a start: Is it correct that it is not possible to connect
> to a PC directly via a crossover cable? I know it is possible
> to a Mac since I am doing this. Would it be possible to
> connect directly to other platforms like Linux, and if it
> would, what would be needed for that?

It is possible to use a crossover cable on any platform. But on Linux there's
no TCP/IP based package installer.

-Victor

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html