Re: [NTLK] Need info for card lending page

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 09:31:49 PDT

Frank Gruendel wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>as soon as I have caught up a bit on all the schedules I am
>currently way behind, I want to start the card lending page.
>I do need your help for this. For one, I'd like a list of
>all the packages that need to be on the card to install
>Ethernet connectivity. I asked for that some days ago already,
>but haven't received a single answer. So if you can help
>me with that, thanks. I know what to do to make my card talk
>to my Mac, but that might not be sufficient for all cards
>and all Macs.

The info is here: http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/

For 3Com cards 3C589X (something like 80% of cases), you need:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/FarallonEthernet.pkg (basic driver)
http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/3comaddon.pkg (addon for 3c589)
http://newyork.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/REGPKGS/inetenbl.pkg
(Enet enabler)
http://newyork.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/REGPKGS/inetstup.pkg
(Enet setup)
http://newyork.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/ENETSUP/newtdev.pkg
(Newton Devices)
http://newyork.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/ENETSUP/enetsup.pkg
(Enet Support::Is this needed? I don't have it!)

For CXE589, the following is needed instead of 3comaddon.pkg.
http://newyork.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/ENETSUP/enetsup.pkg

Other D-link, TDK devices are probably not so common.

On the newton, for TCP dock, TCPDock is required, in the DIL tester
package. This should be tested, as it occasionally isn't installed properly.
http://www.tempel.org/newton/

On the windows/mac computer DIL tester/_something else_ is required. The
user can download.
For windows: http://www.tempel.org/newton/

For mac, I don't know what.

It's also worth including Nitro/Neo/IC$VC in case they've got a way to do
IRObex.
http://www.40hz.org/Nitro/Nitro-1.1.sit
http://www.40hz.org/Neo/Neo-0.7.1.sit
http://www.40hz.org/ICVC/ICVC-0.5.sit

>For a start: Is it correct that it is not possible to connect
>to a PC directly via a crossover cable? I know it is possible
>to a Mac since I am doing this. Would it be possible to
>connect directly to other platforms like Linux, and if it
>would, what would be needed for that?

To a Windows PC, yes. I do it frequently to DIL tester (much less since
Neo). To Linux, probably not.

Hope this helps,

Damien

Damien Batstone