Re: [NTLK] Installing packages via IR?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 22:54:00 PDT

on 20/09/03 23:17, David W Aquilina at dwa2_at_acsu.buffalo.edu wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've just been given an OMP running NOS 1.3, and I'm struggling to get
> anything transferred between my Mac and the Newton. Right now I don't have
> any serial ports - I only have the IR port on my G3 PowerBook
>
> Newton Connection seems to indicate that it can transfer stuff over IR,
> however I can't figure out what it wants me to do when it tells me to
> "Open a connection from the Newton".
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, get a serial cable. IR doesn't work by default for the Newton. There
was a tool that would let you do it, but I think you have to install some
package on your Newton, which is ruled out. Plus, I'm not sure the software
supports Newton running NOS 1.3. Your only hope is to get a serial cable,
plus a keyspan USB to serial adapter...

-Laurent.

fear and loathing n.: [from Hunter S. Thompson] A state inspired by the
prospect of dealing with certain real-world systems and standards that are
totally brain-damaged but ubiquitous -- Intel 8086s, or COBOL, or EBCDIC, or
any IBM machine bigger than a workstation. "Ack! They want PCs to be able to
talk to the AI machine. Fear and loathing time!"
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html