[NTLK] Serial to USB & Newton Connection Utility

From: Duane (websidedoc_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 09:22:10 PDT

Hi,

So far, I've routinely connected the Newton 2100 for backup through
the single serial port on my older Mac desktop computer (running OS
9.1). Now I'm having to consider using one of two USB ports that were
installed recently (a Belkin PCI card). I wonder if anyone on the
list has had experience with this and would care to offer some advice
regarding serial to USB connectors/adapters. Any particular one
recommended? Is there likely to be a problem with Newton Connection
Utility recognizing the Newton through a USB port? (One of the
reasons I'm concerned is that I've never used these USB ports for
anything before, having only installed them with the thought that the
time would come when they'd be handy. And this particular USB card is
said to depend on "Adapter Card Support" already built in to OS 9.1.)
Any thoughts?

Much appreciated,

Duane.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html