Re: [NTLK] NewtonBook creation

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 23:04:02 PST

I personally think that we need to consider at some point in the near
future moving more of the newton related desktop programs 'forward' in
time.

How old is NTK? Book Maker? We've got the DCL and derivative works
allowing us to move packages between our modern desktops and the
newton, as well as syncing PIM info. But what about content creation? I
haven't heard of any os X native methods for creating a newton book -
and the same goes for programming tools (I'm a little hazier on the
windows / linux side of things - how we doing for tools there?).

Not only do we need to update the sync / connection utilities - we need
to duplicate these essential tools - the ones that allow us to continue
making content and programs for our newtons FORWARD. I think we should
really look into figuring out the newton book format - and either build
an editor from scratch, or export plug ins to existing text / page
layout programs.

A more difficult task would be to port something like NTK to os X / win
XP / linux, but assuming we have enough info on the final language and
process of compilation into .pkgs shouldn't be impossible.

So the big question is: do we have enough information to have a glimmer
of hope for completing such ports? Do any of us possess detailed
information on the design of .pkgs? Of newton books?

We *can* keep our old macs, we might even be able to hang on through
classic under os X, but having to switch entire paradigms of
development environment in order to work with our newtons seems a
barrier to me.

On Apr 4, 2004, at 12:48 AM, Ed Kummel wrote:

> I don't believe that that is possible because the
> final result of the Newton book is compiled. Whether
> you use Newton press or the Newton tool kit, you'll
> have to compile the text into it's final version, and
> unless you want to write a custom ascii to binary
> converter specifically for the Newton book process, I
> don't think it is worthwhile.

---