Re: [NTLK] NewtonBook creation

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 22:48:52 PST

I don't believe that that is possible because the
final result of the Newton book is compiled. Whether
you use Newton press or the Newton tool kit, you'll
have to compile the text into it's final version, and
unless you want to write a custom ascii to binary
converter specifically for the Newton book process, I
don't think it is worthwhile.
Now, I do know of a location on the web (can't
remember the name of it right now, but I'm sure that
someone else will chime in with the name) that will
create various book formats on the fly. One of those
formats is the Newton Book format. I know, becaue I
got a book off of that site and it worked as
advertised. Now, I don't know if it compiles the book
on the fly from a stored text repository, or if it
stores the entire binary in the database (that would
be a real waste if you ask me)
I would like to have some method of creating a Newton
Book on the fly as well...I would like to store the
text in a SQL database then dump the text to a file
and convert it to a Newton book...haven't found a way
yet though.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- John Charlton <johncharlton_at_mac.com> wrote:
> How well documented is the book format? Wonder if
> writing a Perl module
> to create a .pkg directly would be possible, at
> least just for text.
>
> On Apr 03, 2004, at 17:20, Brian Parkinson wrote:
>
> > my goal would be to write shell/perl/ruby
> > scripts to automate this.

=====
"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."
 - Charles De Gaulle, former French President