Re: [NTLK] NewtonBook creation

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 07:59:27 PDT

On Apr 04, 2004, at 01:48, Ed Kummel wrote:

> I don't believe that that is possible because the
> final result of the Newton book is compiled. Whether
> you use Newton press or the Newton tool kit, you'll
> have to compile the text into it's final version, and
> unless you want to write a custom ascii to binary
> converter specifically for the Newton book process, I
> don't think it is worthwhile.

Perl's support for binary is pretty good, C may be a better language
for it, but like a previous discussion the best language is the one you
know best. As far as I understand the file compression from Unicode is
done on the Newt, is this right? And is the book .pkg structure
different from a program .pkg?

> Now, I do know of a location on the web (can't
> remember the name of it right now, but I'm sure that
> someone else will chime in with the name) that will
> create various book formats on the fly.

/That's/ interesting. Anyone else know about this?

> I would like to have some method of creating a Newton
> Book on the fly as well...I would like to store the
> text in a SQL database then dump the text to a file
> and convert it to a Newton book...haven't found a way
> yet though.

I was looking at PaperBack, that format may be easier to port to OS X
(or Windows/Unix) for scripting. Has anyone requested details of the
format from its author?

-jc