Re: [NTLK] [OT]newtontalk Digest V4 #203

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 18:34:26 PDT

Here is a telling tidbit pertaining to my age:
I attended the 2001 premier showing in Washington DC
in (was it...) 1968...Arthur C Clarke was there at the
end and he stood on the stage in front of the screen
and gave interviews...At the time, I didn't know how
momentous that was...
Later (in 2001), I met Arthur Clarke and had him sign
my copy of Rendezvous with Rama...he was so suprised
to see that book, because everyone else around him had
brought 2001 for him to sign...Unfortunatly, it was a
second pressing of Rendezvous, because I couldn't find
my first pressing in time to meet him! But I did get
several other books signed at that time (Childhood's
End and a text book that he wrote that I took a class
for years ago!)
He is definatly a person I hold in high regard!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jonathan Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net> wrote:
<snip>

> I've never read the book, but the movie is so visual
> (and auditory)
> that I can hardly imagine the book being better!!!!
> It's a strange
> film, but I've watched it through twice in a row on
> my computer, and
> then, later that week, it was on TCM (in Polish) and
> I watched it
> again, and then, again later in the week... I've
> watched it many times
> now, and I never tire of it. I don't know why...
> It's not exactly an
> exciting movie, but it is a deeply movie in
> completely unusual ways...
> It's not like any other film I've ever watched, oh,
> and the visual
> effects are _stunning_! That's one thing that keeps
> drawing me back to
> it... It's convincing in unusual ways...
>
> (It also reminds me of the ship Marathon) for some
> reason...) ;-)
>
> -Jon Glass

=====
"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."
 - Charles De Gaulle, former French President