Re: [NTLK] Serial to ethernet converters

From: kareljansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 10:27:58 PDT

Op donderdag 8 april 2004 17:11, schreef Tyler Smith:
> >Just curious: has anyone ever used one of these things with a Newton?
> >
> >Here's an example:
> >
> >http://www.stayonline.com/serial_to_ethernet/3311.asp
>
> It's my guess that such a device wouldn't work with a Newt due to the
> fact that the majority of the magic that makes them work is in the
> driver, not the device itself. Furthermore, IIRC, they took up quite
> a bit of your CPU horsepower when transcieving (is that a word?)
> data, due to the previous fact.
>
> If somebody wanted to write up a driver bigger and ulgier than the
> 802.11 driver, I bet it COULD work, but I am not the man to do it,
> nor are most of us. :-)

I may be howwibly wrong, but is seems to me that those converters don't need
any driver software at all other than the ability to send data to the serial
port. All the magic happens in the little box, meaning that for all the Newt
knows it is sending/receiving data over a serial line. The software mentioned
on the website is for assigning a static IP address to the converter, and
that part can be done from another computer (persistent storage); heck the
thing even has its own MAC address.

Karel Jansens