Re: [NTLK] Connection

From: Paul Curtis (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 09:12:39 PDT

Mark,

Personally, I gave up trying serial a month or two ago, it's a waste of
time, emotion and your natural hair color.

Go to www.40hz.com and download Nitro, Neo and IC/VC. This combination of
products from Eckhart will allow you to Ir between your Newton and you
computer, reliably, consistently with no issues! If you don't have an Ir
port on your windows box, go buy an external USB unit to use.

Once you have the .pkg's installed, then the only other learning curve is to
have the irftp.exe open and navigated to the .pkg you want to install with
the cursor over the "send" button, go to the Newton and tap extras, tap
inout, tap inbox (top left of screen), then tap "receive" and finally tap
IrOBEX. Now wait until the windows box "sees" the Newton in range (an icon
will pop up in the "notification area" of the Task Bar, click the "send"
button in the irftp.exe program and pat yourself on the back! It's that
easy.

To install the Ir'd .pkg, tap the box of the .pkg you want to install, tap
the pull tab icon and tap "put away" a dialog box appears with an option to
delete after install and then tap "put away".

That's all there is to it.

Now to address backing up, again ditch ncu.exe, it's pretty much useless.
Buy your self a memory PC-Card from E-Bay, J&K Sales, someone on the list or
a private seller. I have done business with a couple of sellers on E-Bay
that I buy direct now, Huniad_at_comcast.net you should be able to get an
original Apple 4 meg card for sub $20, or lopes1211_at_comcast.net same deal -
sub $20 for a 4 meg Apple Card or Sweet2sweethome_at_hotmail.com, this guys
sells generic cards - so ask for a newer card preferably not from a router -
which he is good about and he sells them for $18 + shipping. Others from the
list should be able to chime in if they have better sources. Once you have
the memory card, just plug it in. A PC-Card slip will pop up, select backup
and make your selections, you can back up data or .pkg's or both, all or
just data that you select, then tap "backup". A couple of seconds later
you're done.

Finally,

If you can't get the serial to work enough to get the Nitro, Neo and IC/VC
installed, I can provide a loaner PC-Card with the .pkg's pre-installed for
you through the Newton Loaner Program (North and South Americas) or if you
are in Europe/Asia/South Pacific contact Frank Gruendel @
http://www.pda-soft.de/index.html. I'll actually ship to Australia/New
Zealand as well. I should be able to have the program up and running by this
Thursday. Once it is up and running I'll send out a general announcement to
the list with instructions on how to order the card.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Paul Curtis
Software Configuration Management Professional
SEI CMM, CMMI, ISO-900n, PMP
Merant's Professional & Dimensions, MSVSS
(503) 704-2314 Cell
(503) 430-8888 Home Office